History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lead, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8263 / 53°49'34"N

Longitude: -1.2961 / 1°17'46"W

OS Eastings: 446428

OS Northings: 436896

OS Grid: SE464368

Mapcode National: GBR MSD6.54

Mapcode Global: WHDBN.2321

Entry Name: Chapel of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148440

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326358

Location: Lead, Selby, North Yorkshire, LS24

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Lead

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Saxton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Saxton

Listing Text

LEAD CHANTRY LANE (bridle
SE 43 NE path)
(north side)

3/20 Chapel of Saint Mary
3.2.67
II*

Chapel. C12 with C13 angle buttresses and C14 windows, with later repairs.
Magnesian limestone coursed rubble with stone slate roof. 2 bays. Diagonal
buttresses to west end and angle buttresses to east, all with off-sets.
South entrance a round-arched plank door with continuously moulded surround
under hood-mould. South and north sides have 2-light, straight-headed
windows with pointed, trefoiled lights. Bell turret to west gable. East
end has 2-light pointed window with reticulated tracery under hood-mould.
Interior: stone altar table incorporates a medieval tomb slab bearing a
foliated calvary cross. Set in the floor are 5 medieval inscribed slabs to
the Tyas family. Medieval font with square base widening to circular rim.
Late medieval benches. Triple-decker C18 pulpit. Inscription to rear of
door: 'RE-DEDICATED BY THE BISHOP OF WHITBY NOV. 6TH. 1932: / BUILT ABOUT
1150 A.D. / This Chappell Repaired in 1784 / RESTORED BY VOLUNTARY LABOUR IN
CHARGE OF / JACK WINTERBURN, 1932 A.D. / REV. T. BOTTOMLEY / VICAR OF
SAXTON'. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 301.


Listing NGR: SE4642836896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.