This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9053 / 53°54'19"N
Longitude: -1.0978 / 1°5'51"W
OS Eastings: 459374
OS Northings: 445835
OS Grid: SE593458
Mapcode National: GBR NRS8.4T
Mapcode Global: WHFCH.33JG
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326383
Location: Acaster Malbis, York, YO23
Civil Parish: Acaster Malbis
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Acaster Malbis Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
ACASTER MALBIS CHURCH LANE
SE 54 NE (east side)
1/1 Church of The Holy
Church. Early C14 with additions and restorations of 1886 by C Hodgson
Fowler including bell tower and spire. Magnesian limestone ashlar with
plain tile roof and wooden bell tower. Cruciform on plan with south porch.
3-bay nave with 2-bay chancel and single-bay transepts. Chamfered plinth.
Nave: south side, central south porch has pointed arch with chamfered
architrave under hood-mould with head stops. Pointed arched entrance with
double-chamfered architrave and studded plank door. North side has central
blocked opening with pointed, double-chamfered architrave. 3-light,
straight-headed windows with reticulated tracery. West end has reticulated
5-light window under depressed segmental arch with quatrefoil above.
Transepts, have 3-light windows, those to north and south under depressed
pointed arches with trefoils above. Chancel has reticulated 3-light windows
with 7-light east window under depressed segmental arch and with elongated
sexfoil above. Swept roofs. Crosses at apex. Shingled bell turret has
similar 2-light openings and octagonal spire. Interior: medieval tub font
on stepped, cylindrical base. Remains of wall painting exposed to north
side of nave. Brackets for statues to either side of east window. Ogee-
headed piscina. Effigy of a cross-legged knight presumed to represent Sir
John Malbys (d1316). Medieval grave slab with foliate cross. Painted
wooden plaque of 1687 'Fearr God Honour the King' with lion and unicorn.
Painted plaque c1764 recording benefactions of John Knowles. Elaborate
continental C17 pulpit with intricate geometrical panelling and figures at
the angles. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979
Listing NGR: SE5937545837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings