This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8331 / 53°49'59"N
Longitude: -1.06 / 1°3'36"W
OS Eastings: 461959
OS Northings: 437836
OS Grid: SE619378
Mapcode National: GBR PS13.9P
Mapcode Global: WHFCP.PXFC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326312
Location: Riccall, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO19
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Riccall
Built-Up Area: Riccall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Riccall St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
RICCALL CHURCH STREET
SE 63 NW
Church of Saint Mary
Church. Mid-late C12 nave with early C13 arcades and late C13 chancel and
north chapel, and probable C15 south chapel with later additions and
alterations including restorations of 1864-5 by J L Pearson: rebuilding of
west tower, south aisle wall and building of porch. Magnesian limestone
ashlar with Welsh slate roof. 2 stage west tower, south porch, 5-bay aisled
nave, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapels to each side. West tower has
round-arched plank doorway, slit window, first-stage band, 2-light, round-
arched bell-openings to each side, second stage band, low parapet.
Embattled south porch has angle buttresses with off-sets. Pointed arched
opening with roll-moulding to head on colonettes. Pairs of cinquefoil
windows with quatrefoils above to sides. Plank south door has diaper-
pattern studding and C-hinges with dragon heads within surround of three
orders of arches: beakheads to outer arch then animals, faces and interlace
to inner arches. Hoodmould has rosette decoration. Capitals interlace to
colonettes and one with figures of S S Peter and Paul. Scallop capitals to
responds. Pointed north doorway has similar studding within chamfered
surround under hoodmould. Aisles have off-set buttresses. To south aisle
and clerestorey 3-light, straight-headed, cinquefoil windows in chamfered
surrounds. North aisle has one slit window and 2 pointed windows of 2
lights with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle and nave are embattled.
West end: north aisle has C19 2-light window with Y-tracery, south aisle has
slit window. Chancel: south side. Chapel has 3-light straight-headed
window with cinquefoil heads, pointed plank doorway in chamfered surround
under hoodmould and 2-light window with Y-tracery. North side: chapel has
3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery, 2-light window with Y-
tracery. East end: buttresses with off-sets. C19 5-light east window with
curvilinear tracery within original double-chamfered surround. Interior:
tower has double arch with semicircular responds and octagonal pier. Nave
has 4-bay arcade with pointed double-chamfered arches on cylindrical and
octagonal piers. Double-chamfered, 4-centred arches to aisle chapels.
Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch and similar arches from chancel to
chapels, that to south with brattished capitals to piers. Trefoil-headed
piscina. Monuments: Baroque wall tablet to Robert Wormley d.1712, another
to Henry Masterton d 1732. Remains of medieval slab with incised cross.
Painted coat of arms of George III dated 1792. Painted C19 tablet recording
establishment of Riccall subscription school. C17 communion rail with
bulbous balusters. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1978, pp
Listing NGR: SE6195937833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings