This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8386 / 53°50'19"N
Longitude: -1.0027 / 1°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 465726
OS Northings: 438505
OS Grid: SE657385
Mapcode National: GBR PSF1.QP
Mapcode Global: WHFCQ.KSR2
Entry Name: Church of Saint Helen
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326321
Location: Skipwith, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Skipwith
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Skipwith St Helen
Church of England Diocese: York
SKIPWITH CHURCH STREET
SE 63 NE
7/64 (north side)
Church of Saint Helen
Church. Anglo-Saxon tower of 2 builds with C15 upper stage, Anglo-Saxon
west wall of nave with 2 bays of north aisle c1190 with C13 extension, south
aisle and chancel c1300, C16 clerestory windows, south porch of 1821-2 and
restoration by J L Pearson of 1877. Magnesian limestone with plain tile
roof. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay
chancel. Tower: quoins. First two stages have slit windows. 1st and 2nd
stage bands. To third stage are twin light, trefoil-headed bell openings.
Battlements with pinnacles. Nave: porch has pointed-arched opening. Round-
arched plank door restored in the C19 but incorporating decorative C13
ironwork, within chamfered surround and under dog-tooth hoodmould. South
aisle has end buttress. Two lancet windows and one 3-light window with
intersecting tracery. To west end a 3-cinquefoil light, straight-headed
window and to east end a 3-light pointed window with geometrical tracery.
North aisle: buttresses. Pointed plank doorway in chamfered surround.
3-cinquefoil-light, straight-headed window, and similar window to west end,
otherwise a 3-light, straight-headed window with shouldered arches and
similar window to east end. Clerestory has 2-light mullion windows.
Chancel: to north side a plank priest's door in chamfered surround. To each
side are two 3-light, straight-headed windows with cusped intersecting
tracery. Similar 5-light window to east end. Interior: round tower arch
with projecting block instead of capital and pilaster strips carried round
the arch, semi-circular and oblong in section. Round-headed doorway above.
Oblong recess to first stage of east wall of tower. Nave has 3-bay, double-
chamfered, pointed arcades, the two westernmost arches have dog-tooth
decoration to hoodmoulds. Mainly octagonal piers, some with nailhead
decoration. One cylindrical pier to south aisle has waterleaf capital with
cruciform abacus. Piscina to chancel. Plain wooden almsbox dated 1615.
Fragments of medieval stained glass to some windows. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 340-341.
Listing NGR: SE6572538505
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.