This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8966 / 53°53'47"N
Longitude: -0.9624 / 0°57'44"W
OS Eastings: 468278
OS Northings: 444985
OS Grid: SE682449
Mapcode National: GBR PRQC.FY
Mapcode Global: WHFCK.5BY5
Entry Name: Church of Saint Helen
Listing Date: 7 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148480
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326242
Location: Wheldrake, York, YO19
Civil Parish: Wheldrake
Built-Up Area: Wheldrake
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wheldrake St Helen
Church of England Diocese: York
WHELDRAKE MAIN STREET
Church of Saint Helen
Church. C14 west tower with nave and 5-sided apse of 1779. 'This CHURCH
was / rebuilt, & its TOWER Repair'd / in the Years 1778 & 1779. / Wm WALKER
& THOS. PETCH / Church-Wardens.' on wooden plaque in tower. By John
Simpson, Curate. Magnesian limestone ashlar tower with pinkish-brown brick
nave with red brick and ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-stage west
tower. South entrance, continuous 5-bay nave and chancel, north vestry
polygonal apse. Tower: west side, short diagonal buttresses with off-sets
and niche for statue of Blessed Virgin Mary to right. Pointed entrance with
plank door under hoodmould in double-chamfered surround. 3-light window
with intersecting-tracery and quatrefoils to head. lst-stage band. Twin-
light bell-openings to each side with cinquefoil heads. Battlements with
pinnacles. Vestry to north side. Nave and chancel: plinth. South entrance
to first bay, double plank doors with ormamental ironwork hinges under red
gauged brick round arch with ashlar imposts and keystone. Above, an oculus
in red gauged brick surround and with keystone. Otherwise tall, round
arched windows with red gauged brick dressings and ashlar keystone, sills
and impost band. Moulded ashlar eaves band. Ashlar coping. Apse: similar
windows to 3 sides. Continuous impost and eaves band. Separately roofed.
Interior has moulded cornice, and plaster cove to flat ceiling. Panelled
dado. Double-chamfered 4-centred tower arch. C19 fittings. Octagonal font
c.1300. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p.369.
Listing NGR: SE6831745007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings