History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monk Fryston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Monk Fryston, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7626 / 53°45'45"N

Longitude: -1.2337 / 1°14'1"W

OS Eastings: 450616

OS Northings: 429855

OS Grid: SE506298

Mapcode National: GBR MSTX.QY

Mapcode Global: WHDBW.0PTD

Entry Name: Monk Fryston Hall

Listing Date: 18 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326102

Location: Monk Fryston, Selby, North Yorkshire, LS25

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

Civil Parish: Monk Fryston

Built-Up Area: Monk Fryston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Monk Fryston St Wilfrid of Ripon

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
South Milford

Listing Text

MONK FRYSTON MAIN STREET
SE 52 NW
(north side)
4/46 Monk Fryston Hall

18.1.52
GV II*
House, now hotel. C13 origins with additions and alterations of c1740 and
1897 and a further C20 range to left of no particular interest. For Selby
Abbey, with additions of c1740 for David Hemsworth and of 1897 by Sir Ernest
George ARA. Magnesian limestone with stone slate roof. L-shaped on plan
with reputedly C18 wing to right with C19 extension and infill of various
dates. Block of 2 storeys with attics and 4 bays to left with gable-ended
projecting 2-storey single bay range to right. Left block: buttress rises
to 2nd floor level. Plinth. Projecting full-height gabled outer bays.
C19 entrance to 3rd bay a 4-centred doorway. Outer bays have mullion and
transom windows. 6-light mullion windows to second bay. All under
hoodmoulds with mostly recut chamfered surrounds and mullions, that to
second bay in double-chamfered surround. First floor: outer bays have
similar mullion and transom windows. To second bay a 3-light mullion window
in double-chamfered surround and with chamfered mullions. To third bay a
lancet window in chamfered surround. Single lights in double-chamfered
surrounds to gables of bays, blocked to right. Gables have kneelers and
ashlar coping. Kneeler and ashlar coping to left. Wing to right: plinth.
2-storey canted bay has 5-light mullion and transom windows to each floor in
double-chamfered surround, that to ground floor under hoodmould. Blocked
single light in gable. Kneelers, coping and remains of finial. C19
diagonal ridge, end and rear stacks. Mainly similar mullion and transom
windows to rear. One C13 2-light mullion window in double-chamfered
surround to left gable. Interior remodelled after fire of 1876. Originally
the property of Selby Abbey, it was the home of the Master of Works and the
Agent of the Abbot supervising quarring of stone for the Abbey.


Listing NGR: SE5061629855

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.