This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4433 / 54°26'35"N
Longitude: -0.9764 / 0°58'35"W
OS Eastings: 466480
OS Northings: 505802
OS Grid: NZ664058
Mapcode National: GBR PKM1.DZ
Mapcode Global: WHF8T.ZL62
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148566
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328063
Location: Westerdale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Westerdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Westerdale Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 60 NE WESTERDALE MAIN STREET
6/145 Christ Church
Church, 1838, extended and altered 1875 by W. Falkenbridge, on
medieval site. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth and quoins.
Graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone ridge and copings, cast
iron cross finial, spike finials at nave corners.
West tower and nave with extruded South porch. Short chancel with
North aisle and south porch-vestry. 1838 parts in Lancet style,
Two-stage tower with battlemented parapet. Bands and stepped
diagonal buttresses. Lancets at all levels including bell openings,
those on top of lower stage very narrow. In west face a fragment
of C12 arch above a segmental plaque dated 1838. Nave north and
south 3 large windows with Y-tracery, alternate-block jambs and
hoodmoulds. Later porch with 2-centred arch and hoodmould. Chancel
has large traceried East window, smaller windows in sides.
Interior: 3 medieval grave covers and cross fragments in porch.
1838 strutted king post nave roof. Arch-braced chancel roof.
Nave a plain preaching box. Good stained glass in south-east
nave window, parables from Gospel of St. Matthew, signed and dated
Against the nave south wall, on the outside, a partly-eroded
memorial slab to Jane Duck, d.1740, who gave money to the village
Listing NGR: NZ6648005802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings