This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4295 / 54°25'46"N
Longitude: -0.8331 / 0°49'59"W
OS Eastings: 475797
OS Northings: 504411
OS Grid: NZ757044
Mapcode National: GBR QKM6.FX
Mapcode Global: WHF8X.5XJN
Entry Name: Glaisdale Head Methodist Church and Walls
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Last Amended: 20 December 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328016
Location: Glaisdale, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Glaisdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Glaisdale St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 70 SE GLAISDALE GLAISDALE SIDE
Glaisdale Head Methodist
12/97 Church and walls
6/10/69 (formerly listed as
Chapel with manse attached (though not now occupied). 1821, dated
on wall plaque, with extensions of 1850 to manse (dated on gate
pier). Coursed herringbone-tooled sandstone. Graduated Lakeland
slate roof with stone dressings; purple slate roof on manse
extension. Chapel 1 tall storey, 2 bays square, partly concealed
from road by projecting gabled manse bay; with added parallel
adjoining manse bay, projecting yet further, on the right.
On east gable end chapel has 2 tall round-arched sashes with
glazing bars and interlaced heads; cut voussoirs. A similar window
on north and south faces. On west face a small gabled porch with
doors in 2 sides. Plaque above with oval panel and fan spandrels.
(cf. Lealholm Methodist Church) inscribed: Methodist Church,
erected by subscription for the sacred worshop of God, Anno Domini
1821. Blocked window above and small roundel in gable end. Plain
interior with pulpit against south wall, curved benches raked
around north and east, and moveable choir benches at west.
Original attached manse 2 storeys and basement (through slope of
ground), 1 gabled bay to road. Steps to door in inner corner. A
late C19 sash on each floor to right, and small basement light.
Storeroom door below steps. Gable end has basement door and one
high window. Parallel projecting east manse extension with steps
to door in angle, late C19 sashes to right, and rock-faced plinth.
Front garden wall with heavy flat coping. At left of steps to
chapel door a big square dated pier, with domed square cap, supports
railings with curved heads, protecting the way up to the chapel.
Listing NGR: NZ7579704411
Other nearby listed buildings