This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4637 / 54°27'49"N
Longitude: -0.937 / 0°56'13"W
OS Eastings: 468999
OS Northings: 508114
OS Grid: NZ689081
Mapcode National: GBR PJWT.YN
Mapcode Global: WHF8V.L20C
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and St George
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327938
Location: Danby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Danby
Built-Up Area: Castleton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Danby with Castleton and Commondale
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 6808 and NZ 60 NE DANBY CHURCH STREET
13/20 and 6/20 Church of
6/10/69 St. Michael and
Church, 1924,dated on stone at south-east corner by Leslie Moore.
Rockfaced snecked brown sandstone; green slate roof. West tower,
nave and south porch, chancel and north vestry. Mid C14 style.
Square, buttressed west tower with stepped-in upper stage. 2-centred-
arched West doorway.
2- and 3-light bell openings under low battlemented parapet. Gabled
porch. Cusped 2-light nave south windows. North nave wall has
high filled arcade, as though an aisle had been planned. Chancel
has Carnaervon-arched priest's door, south windows similar to nave
and an east window with cusped reticulated tracery. Pent vestry
with door similar to priest's door.
Another inscribed stone adds that the building of the church was
inspired by the Rev. Sydney Smith, vicar 1918-28.
Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings, the arcading noted
externally expressed on north wall. Good carved wood screens to
chancel and tower arches. Panelled sanctuary with reredos painting
of the patron saints. Enriched communion rail. Aumbry, piscina
and sedilia. Hexagonal stone font. All internal detail well
designed and crisply executed.
Wood plaque records grant of £150.00 from the Incorporated Church
Building Society on condition that all seats should be free to
parishioners and that an annual collection be taken for the benefit
of the Society.
Pevsner, N. Riding p.118.
Listing NGR: NZ6899908114
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings