This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5367 / 54°32'12"N
Longitude: -0.8257 / 0°49'32"W
OS Eastings: 476081
OS Northings: 516346
OS Grid: NZ760163
Mapcode National: GBR QHPZ.1H
Mapcode Global: WHF8J.972F
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 4 January 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148616
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327897
Location: Roxby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, TS13
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Roxby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hinderwell with Roxby and Staithes
Church of England Diocese: York
ROXBY HALL HILL
NZ 71 NE
Church of St Nicholas
Parish Church. C17 on the site of an earlier church, considerably altered in
1818 and restored in early C20. Coursed plain sandstone north nave wall and
lower chancel walls; upper chancel and north nave walls, south nave wall and
tower coursed herring-bone - tooled sandstone. Graduated lakeland slate roof
with tile ridge and stone copings. West Tower; continuous nave and chancel:
chancel probably raised to nave roof level in 1818. Sloped plinth. 3-stage
tower has round-arched west doorway with cut voussoirs. 2-light west window
above and 2-light segment headed bell openings in 3rd stage below parapet with
corner battlements. Stone steps to first-floor boarded door on south side.
2-light nave west windows flank the tower and pent extension (possibly early
pent extension (possibly early C20) has a matching window. 2-bay nave has
3-light windows; chancel of one long bay with blocked round-arched priest's door
and a 3-light window with round heads to lights and sunk spandrels. Nave and
tower windows have round-headed lights. North wall has only one 3-light window.
East window, of 5 lights with square head and ridged keystone, probably early
C20. Interior: Lobby with 6-panel door to tower. 6-panel double door to
church. Panelled pews, mostly lost doors. Strutted king-post roof. All these
features probably 1812 as is the pulpit, although on a later C19 base.
Monuments: slab with brass to Thomas Boynton, d.1523; slab to Katherine Ingram
d.1666; dark limestone slab, raised on4 white marble irons, to the wife of
Sir Matthew Boynton, d.1634. C13 font on modern stone plinth.
Listing NGR: NZ7608116346
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings