History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers and Part of Churchyard Wall to Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4503 / 54°27'0"N

Longitude: -0.6657 / 0°39'56"W

OS Eastings: 486614

OS Northings: 506915

OS Grid: NZ866069

Mapcode National: GBR RJSZ.PG

Mapcode Global: WHGB3.RD6Q

Entry Name: Gate Piers and Part of Churchyard Wall to Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 6 October 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327531

Location: Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby

Built-Up Area: Sleights

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Eskdaleside (or Sleigts) St John

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Sleights

Listing Text

ESKDALESIDE-CUM-UGGLEBARNBY COACH ROAD
NZ8606-8706
(east side), Sleights
18/59 Gate piers and part of
churchyard wall to
6.10.69
Church of St.John the
Evangelist
GV II
Churchyard gate piers and walls. Dated 1761 with C20 gates and overthrow.
By Robert and Tabitha Bowers, and Gertrude Burdett. Gate piers and walls
of tooled sandstone. Rusticated square-section gate piers oil alternately
rectangular and cylindrical blocks; flat caps and ball finials on bell
shaped pedestals. Flanking walls support foliate volutes on each side of
gateway. Walls have cambered coping and are ramped up to four obelisk
pinnacles. Obelisks have blind Gothick tracery to each face and tall
panelled dies. South west obelisk has inscribed vertical sundials on two
faces, and the inscription:
R B T 1761 GB / UT UMBRA SIC VITA
Walls mark the extent of the churchyard of the Eskdale Chapel built by the
same patrons to replace the original Eskdale Chapel (q.v.) inconveniently
sited elsewhere in the parish. C18 chapel subsequently replaced by
present Church of St.John the Evangelist, of 1895.


Listing NGR: NZ8661406915

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.