History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bransdale Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Bransdale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3731 / 54°22'23"N

Longitude: -1.0463 / 1°2'46"W

OS Eastings: 462055

OS Northings: 497924

OS Grid: SE620979

Mapcode National: GBR PK4W.84

Mapcode Global: WHF95.WBYW

Entry Name: Bransdale Mill

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328858

Location: Bransdale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Bransdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkbymoorside All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Chop Gate

Listing Text

BRANSDALE HODGE BECK
SE 69 NW
(east side)
3/24 Bransdale Mill
GV II
Cornmill. C18; extended 1817; partly rebuilt 1842 (on datestone); restored
C20. Extension and rebuilding by William Strickland. Herringbone-tooled
sandstone with pantile roof. 2-storey and attic, single-window front, with
single-storey and attic extension to left. Round-arched doorways of
voussoirs flank 16-pane sash to ground floor of mill; similar window to
centre of first floor. 2 small shuttered openings to attic. Windows have
stone sills and heavy tooled lintels. Lintel to first-floor window is
inscribed: "REBUILT 1842", and is flanked by tie rod ends shaped to form the
initials W and S. Coped gables and coved cornice stack to end left.
Extension has board door with unequal 12-pane replacement sash to left and
shuttered window to right. Small shuttered opening to attic. Shaped sill
to left window probably a reused lintel. Rear: 2 storey, and attic, 3-bay
front, built against the hillside. Central round-arched opening of tooled
voussoirs to first floor. Shuttered openings to attic. Water from millpond
entered wheel chamber through small opening to right of first-floor opening
Powered grindstone installed at rear of mill in late C19 survives. Gable
wall to extension: datestone inscribed: WS
1817.
Interior: wheelchamber to left reuses C18 wheel pit. Surviving cast-iron
machinery comprises an overshot water-wheel with iron buckets, pitwheel,
wallower, spur wheel and crown wheel. 3 stone nuts with wooden teeth and 3
sets of mill stones (without furniture). Banded French stones made by
GEORGE MARIS of HULL in 1842; greystones inscribed "HS NIS 1870"; bluestones
not inscribed. Square section main shaft and hexagonal sack hoist shaft.
In mill extension, wooden framework for an oat crushing mill with one pair
of stones and a sifter. Corn was ground at Bransdale Mill until 1917; grist
was ground until 1953. Mill under restoration by The National Trust at time
of resurvey.


Listing NGR: SE6205597924

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.