This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.082 / 54°4'55"N
Longitude: -0.6809 / 0°40'51"W
OS Eastings: 486393
OS Northings: 465928
OS Grid: SE863659
Mapcode National: GBR RPP7.CG
Mapcode Global: WHGCV.HNZH
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328828
Location: Wharram, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Wharram
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wharram St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
WHARRAM MAIN STREET
SE 86 NE (west side, off)
4/125 Church of Saint Mary
Church. Of tower and nave with early C12 insertions, C14 north aisle with
additional late C18 or early C19 west bay, C19 rebuilding of south nave
wall, chancel of 1862. Hammer-dressed sandstone rubble, Welsh slate roof.
West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel.
West front: 4-stage tower with blocked round-headed doorway of 2 moulded
orders on narrow shafts with pendant triangle capitals, probably of Norman
date. Square-headed slit windows to second and third stage. String course.
Double round-headed belfry windows. Rebuilt 4-course parapet, slightly
corbelled out. South porch contains Norman round-headed door with arch of 5
orders, the innermost rolled, the outermost with billet and zigzag. Volute
capital to left, fluted capital to right, both worn. Both responds absent.
Nave: C19 paired lancets. North aisle: additional west bay with one Y-
traceried window. Square-headed window with 2 trefoiled lights to
easternmost bay and east end. Chancel: blind to north, lancets to south, 3
stepped lancets to east. Interior: tall round-headed tower arch of 2 orders
with detached shafts carrying capitals with pendant triangles. Pointed
chancel arch seems to rest on earlier jambs with volute capitals. Norman
tub font. Monument on west wall of north aisle to James Fox, died 1790.
Plaque, on shelf held by consoles, flanked by fluted pilasters with paterae
to capitals. Fluted frieze and moulded cornice supporting urn. For
detailed arguments concerning the dating of the fabric of the tower and nave
and their features, see Bilson J, "Wharram-le-Street Church, Yorkshire and
Saint Rule's Church, Saint Andrew's, Archaeologia, 73, 1923, pp 55-72,
Taylor H M and Joan, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, Vol II, 1965, pp 647-653, and
Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1972.
Listing NGR: SE8639665925
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings