History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cowl House and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Bransdale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3623 / 54°21'44"N

Longitude: -1.0534 / 1°3'12"W

OS Eastings: 461604

OS Northings: 496726

OS Grid: SE616967

Mapcode National: GBR PK2Z.QZ

Mapcode Global: WHF95.SMK3

Entry Name: Cowl House and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328842

Location: Bransdale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Bransdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkbymoorside All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Chop Gate

Listing Text

BRANSDALE BRANSDALE
SE 69 NW
(west side)
3/5 Cowl House and attached
outbuildings
GV II
House and attached barn, loose boxes and stables. 1745 on datestone, with
early C19 extensions; house raised and remodelled c1830. For William
Garbutt. House of hammer-dressed sandstone, partly on rubble footings,
extension of herringbone-tooled sandstone; outbuildings of tooled and
squared sandstone. Pantile roofs. House originally central-entry plan,
later extended to left to link with detached barn; range of loose boxes and
stables added to right. 2-storey, 3-window house front, with 2-storey,
single-window extension to left; 1½ storey barn further to left, on rising
ground; l½-storey range to right. Renewed 4-panel door beneath divided
overlight to house, in chamfered openings with flush quoins; chamfered
lintel inscribed "WG:1745" above. Windows are large pane horizontal sliding
sashes with stone sills, 3-light to ground floor and 2-light to first floor.
Blocked fire window to end left. Jambs of ground-floor openings exhibit
traces of chevron tooling; window lintels are vertically-tooled
replacements. Extension has 2 board doors with 2-light, large-pane
horizontal sliding sash to centre and similar window above, both with stone
sills. Tooled wedge lintels to ground-floor openings. Portions of earlier
diagonally-tooled lintels reused in masonry to left. Coped gable and shaped
kneeler to right. End stacks to house and centre stack to extension, all
with coved caps. Barn: board door with roughly tooled lintel, flanked by
ventilation slits; pitching hole to first floor right. Coped gable and
kneeler to left. Range to right: 3 doorways, one now blocked by 6-pane
pivoting window, one with replacement stable door, all with roughly-tooled
lintels. Square pitching hole with shutter to right. Interior of house.
Ground floor, room to left: chamfered beam and joists, the beam with run-out
stops. Stone chimney-piece with plain jambs, coved imposts, flat lintel and
fine moulded dentilled timber shelf. Extension: first-floor room has
fireplaces with plain stone surround and shelf, with round-arch basket
grate. Interior of barn: one upper cruck truss with crossed apex survives
to left of door.


Listing NGR: SE6160496726

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.