History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandburn Cross in Grounds of Sandburn House Approximately 100 Metres North of the Tanglewood Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Stockton-on-the-Forest, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0189 / 54°1'8"N

Longitude: -0.9796 / 0°58'46"W

OS Eastings: 466957

OS Northings: 458581

OS Grid: SE669585

Mapcode National: GBR PPLZ.Q2

Mapcode Global: WHFBY.X7QW

Entry Name: Sandburn Cross in Grounds of Sandburn House Approximately 100 Metres North of the Tanglewood Inn

Listing Date: 29 January 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328688

Location: Stockton-on-the-Forest, York, YO32

County: York

Civil Parish: Stockton-on-the-Forest

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stockton-on-Forest Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Flaxton

Listing Text

SE 65 NE STOCKTON-ON-THE-FOREST A 64
(north-west side)

3/32 Sandburn Cross in grounds
of Sandburn House
approximately 100 metres
29.1.53 north of the Tanglewood
Inn

II

Boundary marker. 1677 inscription, possibly on an earlier cross shaft.
Limestone. Square-section base approximately one metre square and 0.25
metres in height, supporting a square-section shaft approximately 0.50
metres square and 1.50 metres in height. Inscriptions to each face. To
south: Ebor Monkward Stray. Mat Walls. Jo Blackburn. John Beforth.
Edgoforth. Pasture Masters 1677. To east: This cross repaired in the year
1782 by Wm Bamburgh, John Dale, Jos Gorwood, Ricd Pearson. Pasture Masters.
To west: This cross was blown down by the great wind on the 7th of January
1839 and replaced by her Grace the Duchess of Sutherland 1840. To north:
Restored by John Hetherton in 1912. The ashes of John Hetherton who died
Feb 14th 1937 aged 74 years lie around this stone.


Listing NGR: SE6695758581

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.