This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1511 / 54°9'3"N
Longitude: -0.8531 / 0°51'11"W
OS Eastings: 475005
OS Northings: 473410
OS Grid: SE750734
Mapcode National: GBR QNHF.3Q
Mapcode Global: WHFB7.VXYM
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 17 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328632
Location: Amotherby, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Amotherby
Built-Up Area: Amotherby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Amotherby St Helen
Church of England Diocese: York
AMOTHERBY WITH HILDENLEY CHURCH LANE
SE 77 SE
5/4 The Old Vicarage
Vicarage now house. 1889, on datestone: restoration c1975. By Ernest
George and Harold Peto. Hammer-dressed sandstone with sandstone ashlar
dressings and Rosemary tile roof. Jacobethan style. Entrance front:
2½- and 2-storey, 4-bay front, with full-height projecting gabled porch to
right of centre and twin cross gables to left. Round-headed double board
doors beneath flat-arched surround with moulded spandrels, to porch.
3-light mullion window above over a raised first-floor band. 4-light
mullion window to left of porch and similar 2-light window to right. Tall
mullion and transom staircase window of 2 lights to left of porch.
Remaining first-floor and attic windows in cross gables are of 2 lights.
Windows to left of porch have flat moulded hoods. Massive external stack
with offsets to right of porch. Garden front: paired, 2-storey and attic
2-window gable ends. Glazed doors to centre open into replacement
conservatory, flanked by 2-light mullion and transom windows. First-floor
window to right is of 3 mullioned lights; remaining windows are 2 lights.
Stack rises from valley between the gable ends. Rear: 2-storey and attic,
4-window front. Square bay to ground floor centre with 4-light mullion and
transom window. Remaining windows are of 2 and 3 mullioned lights, that to
first floor right having foiled heads. 3-light dormer to attic with half-
hipped gable. All openings to house have flat quoined surrounds; all
windows have square leaded lights, and all mullions are cavetto-moulded.
All gables are coped, with kneelers. Interior. Ground Floor: closed-
string, dogleg staircase with turned balusters and moulded handrail,
panelled below. Front room to left of entrance contains a fine carved
fireplace with a surround of paired fluted Ionic columns carrying an
entablature which breaks forward at each end. Front room to right and rear
section of centre room contain fireplaces with overmantels of recessed
panelling. Original doors throughout ground floor of square recessed
Listing NGR: SE7500573410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings