This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2451 / 54°14'42"N
Longitude: -1.1591 / 1°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 454897
OS Northings: 483590
OS Grid: SE548835
Mapcode National: GBR NMBC.V0
Mapcode Global: WHD8L.5KBJ
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 4 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328527
Location: Old Byland and Scawton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Old Byland and Scawton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Upper Ryedale
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 58 SW SCAWTON MAIN STREET
8/51 Church of Saint Mary
Church. C12 with C15 insertions and porch and restoration of 1892 by
C. Hodgson Fowler. Limestone rubble, stone slate roof. 2-bay nave with
south porch, 2-bay chancel. West front: restored round-headed window.
Wooden bellcote to gable end. To south: porch contains round-headed door of
2 zigzag-moulded orders supported on colonnettes with scalloped capitals.
Beaded hoodmould. 3-light square-headed double-chamfered window to second
bay. To north: blocked square-headed doorway with narrow single-light
round-headed window immediately to left and square-headed windows to extreme
left and right. Chancel: to south a blocked square-headed priests' door,
and 2 square-headed windows. 2 round-headed windows to north. East end: 3-
light trefoil-headed window in square-headed frame with narrow slit window
above. Interior: chancel arch flanked by arched niches with nook-shafts for
reredoses of lay altars, later converted to squints. To left of altar a
niche of uncertain function consisting of a trough and two columns with
waterleaf capitals supporting a moulded cornice. To right of altar a single
pointed sedile, a square-headed aumbry and a pointed piscina. Font: round,
possible Norman on later base, with tall octagonal C17 wooden cover.
Pevsner N. "Yorkshire: The North Riding" 1966.
Listing NGR: SE5489683590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings