This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2632 / 54°15'47"N
Longitude: -0.9623 / 0°57'44"W
OS Eastings: 467687
OS Northings: 485776
OS Grid: SE676857
Mapcode National: GBR PMQ4.GJ
Mapcode Global: WHF9T.630L
Entry Name: St Gregorys Minster
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Last Amended: 5 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328455
Location: Welburn, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Welburn (Kirkbymoorside Ward)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkdale St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 63 NE WELBURN KIRKDALE LANE
(north side, M) Kirkdale
2/95 St. Gregory's Minster
(formerly listed as Church
14/7/55 of St Gregory)
Church. Nave c.1060; C13 arcade and north wall, raised in C15; late C13
north chapel, now vestry; porch 1800; tower 1827; chancel rebuilt 1881.
Restored 1907 - 1909 by Temple Moore. Limestone rubble nave and porch:
dressed limestone tower and with north aisle and chapel, south porch,
chancel and west tower and timber gabled porch. Reset C13 pointed doorway
under corbelled dripmoulded in chancel south wall, with single lancet to
left. C15 3-light window with cusped heads recessed in squared surround to
right of porch. Square - section west tower has louvred bell opening below
shallow, hipped roof. In the wall to the left of tower is 3 reset Saxon
cross shaft, and Saxon quoins which survive the later rebuilding of trio
north wall. The rebuilt upper courses of the nave north wall contain a 2-
light window with cusped heads. At the east end of the chancel are three
lancets with an oculus above. Interior: Saxon west doorway, now tower arch:
narrow and round - arched, with quoined 'jambs and shafts to west with rough
block capitals (Pevsner). Aisle arcade has octagonal columns, rolute and
waterleaf capitals, and double - chamfered pointed arches.: Stone benches
survive along the north and south walls, and within the porch. Other
fittings include a C13 octagonal font, and alter rails donated in 1635. Two
Saxon grave slabs are preserved between, the arcade columns, also the remains
of a C14 carved stone Virgin and Child. There are two bells, one c.
l300, the other from 1400-1450. Over the doorway within the porch a Saxon
sundial has survived almost intact. The long stone slab in divided into
three sections, the centre one containing the sundial but without gnomon,
the two outer containing an inscription, the translation of which reads:
"Orm Gamal's son bought St. Gregory's Minster when it was all broken down
and fallen and he let it be made anew from the ground to Christ and St.
Gregory, in Edward's days, the king, and in Tosti's days, the Earl. This is
day's Sun marker at every tide. And Haworth me wrought and Brand, priests."
Reference: Sir N Pevener, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire-The North
Riding, Penguin, 1966; Page 216.
Listing NGR: SE6768785776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings