This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2473 / 54°14'50"N
Longitude: -1.0619 / 1°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 461224
OS Northings: 483923
OS Grid: SE612839
Mapcode National: GBR PM0B.W6
Mapcode Global: WHF9R.NHJR
Entry Name: Canons Garth and Doorway and Walls
Listing Date: 4 January 1955
Last Amended: 18 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149306
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328271
Location: Helmsley, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Helmsley
Built-Up Area: Helmsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Helmsley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 6083-6183 HELMSLEY CANONS' GARTH LANE
10/45 Canons' Garth and
doorway and walls
4.1.55 (Formerly listed under
House. Late C14 with C17 and late C19 additions and restoration and C20
restoration. Timber framing, sandstone rubble, plain tiles, stone
tiles, stone stacks. C14 hall with evidence of former aisle to rear,
with C17 cross wing to left, lean-to extension to extreme left and 1889
cross wing with extension to right. Former cross passage in left-hand
wing replaced by C17 central porch entry rebuilt in 1975. Ground floor
and hall underbuilt in stone with close studded timber framing to all
gables and first floor of wings and porch. C19 casement windows
throughout. Steeply pitched roof with gable to left encroached upon by
later cross wing. Stacks to left and at rear of left-hand cross wing,
right-hand ridge stack to hall and on extreme right-hand extension.
Interior: hall fireplace with massive bressumer and 9 studs above backed
on to by second fireplace now in 1889 chapel. Possible salt box in
stone wall in passage. C17 inserted ceiling in hall with step chamfered
cross beam. Medieval floor tiles from Rievaulx Abbey on floor of 1889
Chapel. C16 moulded stone fireplace from Helmsley Castle in 1889 study.
Complex C14 roof structure to hall with double tie beam, crown post and
multiple struts. Doorway and walls to front of property. Mc Donnell
(ed), History of Helmsley, Rievaulx and District, 1963; 'North Yorkshire
and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report', No 24.
Listing NGR: SE6122483923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings