This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1325 / 54°7'56"N
Longitude: -1.5186 / 1°31'7"W
OS Eastings: 431551
OS Northings: 470845
OS Grid: SE315708
Mapcode National: GBR KNVN.0C
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.ND19
Entry Name: Former Canal Warehouse and the Wharf Manager's House Now Both Part of Premises of Canal Saw Mills
Listing Date: 12 October 1977
Last Amended: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330027
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3170 RIPON CANAL ROAD
5/150 (North side)
18.7.73 Former Canal Warehouse
(formerly listed as
Warehouse of Alltons
12.10.77 and the Wharf Manager's
House now both part of
premises of Canal Saw
Probably 1770-3. Designed either by John Smeaton, William Jessop, John Smith or
Joshua Wilson (see below). Hammer-dressed red sandstone, partly roughcast. Double
hipped pantile roof. Two storeys. Wharf site has 2 bays, each with waggon entrance
on ground floor and loading doors above, that on east side reached by external red
brick staircase. Road side has casements with glazing bars.
Wharf manager's house is roughcast with pantile roof. Two storeys. Three bays:
sashes with glazing bars, central first floor window blind. Door with 6 fielded
panels and oblong fanlight with glazing bars. Staircase window with glazing bars on
History. The Act for the Ure Navigation was passed in 1767. Cutting of the Ripon
Canal began early in 1770 and it opened early in 1773. Surveyor: William Jessop,
supervised by John Smeaton. Resident engineer: John Smith. Masonry contractor
Joshua Wilson of Halifax. A warehouse was in existence in 1781, so this building is
most likely to be that.
Alternatively, the building could be part of the Aire and Calder Navigations scheme
for a wharf at Ripon in 1789. But it is not known whether this was completed.
Listing NGR: SE3155170845
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings