This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1342 / 54°8'2"N
Longitude: -1.52 / 1°31'12"W
OS Eastings: 431457
OS Northings: 471029
OS Grid: SE314710
Mapcode National: GBR KNTM.QS
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.MCC1
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330064
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3171 RIPON HIGH SAINT AGNESGATE
1/4 (north side)
The Old Hall
1738 (altered in mid C19). Dated in iron ties on the north gable, and this date is
confirmed by an insurance badge of the London Assurance Company dateable to 1740. The
south gable has the patron's initials, "IM" in iron ties.
Red brick, Flemish bond. Welsh slate roof (probably C19). Two storeys and attics.
Modillion eaves cornice. Five bays, with an additional bay at north end, recessed
very slightly and blind to principal facade. Sashes with chanelled voussoirs and C19
glazing bars, except for 2 southern ground floor windows, which are mid C19 French
casements. Doorway with semi-circular glazing bars, chanelled quoins and voussoirs.
Service wing to rear.
Interior. Outstanding staircase hall with high quality plasterwork typical of circa
1740, viz: ceiling of lower hall has roundel with figure of Cupid, framed by foliage
drops: stair walls have foliage swags; over window is an owl (symbol of Pallas Athene)
framed by more swags; and ceiling of upper hall is filled by a particularly large
Judgement of Paris scene. Lower hall has pine wainscotting. Staircase has slender
(non-shaped) balusters of oak. North ground floor room wainscotted throughout, with
arched recess on one side, and an elaborately carved overmantel (possibly a slightly
later addition). South ground floor room altered in mid C19. Two upstairs rooms
wainscotted throughout with fielded panels, one of them with fluted Doric pilasters.
Listing NGR: SE3145571033
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings