History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sharow View (County of North Yorkshire Social Services Department and Probation Services)

A Grade II Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1387 / 54°8'19"N

Longitude: -1.5224 / 1°31'20"W

OS Eastings: 431302

OS Northings: 471533

OS Grid: SE313715

Mapcode National: GBR KNTL.64

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.L78K

Entry Name: Sharow View (County of North Yorkshire Social Services Department and Probation Services)

Listing Date: 6 May 1970

Last Amended: 19 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329987

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 3171 RIPON ALLHALLOWGATE
1/291 (north side)
6.5.70
Sharow View (County of
North Yorkshire Social
Services Department and
Probation Services)
[formerly listed as
No 75 (Sharow View)]

II

1854. Brown brick. Ashlar quoins and dressings. Slate, with coped gables on cut
kneelers. Two storeys. Eleven bays; of which centre 3 break forward and are crowned
by 2 shaped gables with stone finials at apexes; flanking bays have one smaller shaped
gable each. First floor has wood mullioned casements with glazing bars except for
3 centre windows which are sashed. Ground floor has wooden mullioned and transomed
casements with glazing bars. Half-glazed door with glazing bars in 4-central arch in
slightly projecting surround with stone dressings. History. Built as the poor house,
it stands on the site of what was known as The Old Hall. In 1776 William Asislabie of
Studley Park, MP for Ripon, gave the Old Hall for the use of the poor. The present
structure was built in 1854, and a vagrants' cell block added in 1877.


Listing NGR: SE3130271533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.