This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1331 / 54°7'59"N
Longitude: -1.5209 / 1°31'15"W
OS Eastings: 431402
OS Northings: 470909
OS Grid: SE314709
Mapcode National: GBR KNTN.J5
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.LCZV
Entry Name: Hospital of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330010
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3170 RIPON BONDGATE
5/211 (east side)
Nos 94 to 99 (consec)
(Hospital of St John
1878. Brown brick, with red brick strings and black brick voissoirs. Timber-framed
gable ends. Tile roofs. One storey. Three gabled projections; 2 end ones with one
casement each and half-hipped roofed porches in angles, with cusped arcaded timber
sides; central projection has 2 similar porches, side by side. Remainder has 4 pairs
of arched sashes. Doors with 4 panels and diagonal boarding, in segment-headed
History. For the history of the Hospital as an institution see Chapel of St John the
Baptist, Bondgate (qv).
The Hospital building is first mentioned in the Valor Ecclesiasticus (1535), where it
is said to consist of a house with a close attached. The Charity Commissioners Report
of 1820 found a small one-storeyed house on Bondgate, with accommodation for
2 sisters. In 1878 this was replaced by the present building.
Listing NGR: SE3140270909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings