This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9936 / 53°59'36"N
Longitude: -1.5467 / 1°32'48"W
OS Eastings: 429814
OS Northings: 455374
OS Grid: SE298553
Mapcode National: GBR KQM8.Y5
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.6WQB
Entry Name: Royal Pump Room Museum
Listing Date: 18 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329862
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Low Harrogate
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: High Harrogate St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5338 CROWN PLACE
(West side )
Royal Pump Room Museum
SM 2955 SE 12/29 18.7.49.
Circa 1842 by Isaac T Shutt on the site of sulphur springs described by Edmund
Deane in 1626. The Old sulphur Well is incorporated in the basement of the present
building; the previous domed cover of 1807-8. of the well was removed to the Tewit
Well (qv). Rear addition (The Annexe) added circa 1913 by Leonard Clark. The
building became a museum in 1953, Irregular octagonal plan with 4 projecting
side bays with Corinthian pilasters on quoins carrying entablature and blocking
course. Octagonal ogee dome with copper tiles replacing the original leaded
roof and central lantern. Grit stone ashlar with pediments to projections which
have sash windows with panelled surrounds, pediment, channelled aprons and glazing
bars. Recessed faces have inscribed panel l'ABX CEIEB.RIB FONTIBUS) over a
doorway with segmental pediment on console brackets; 1½ glazed door with margin
lights. Annexe with pilasters carrying entablature; large windows; roof with
copper fishtail dormer. In basement C18 stone well-head of Old Sulphur Well
in situ, with original marble basin, arched openings and tented cover. Ground
floor interior of 1842. Pump Room with Corinthian pilasters carrying entablature.
Some original thermal fittings and counters preserved. Betty Lupton 'Queen of
the Wells' worked here as a well-woman in the earlier C19.
The Crown Hotel forms a group with Nos 1 to 3 (consec) and the Royal Pump Room Museum.
Listing NGR: SE2981455374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings