History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thorpe Bassett, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1498 / 54°8'59"N

Longitude: -0.6876 / 0°41'15"W

OS Eastings: 485817

OS Northings: 473459

OS Grid: SE858734

Mapcode National: GBR RNMG.Y5

Mapcode Global: WHGCG.DYTK

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 10 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329789

Location: Thorpe Bassett, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Thorpe Bassett

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thorpe Bassett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Rillington

Listing Text


NORTH YORKSHIRE
RYEDALE
5340

SE 87 SE THORPE BASSETT VILLAGE STREET
(south side)
4/107 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
10.10.66

GV II *
Church. C12 with early C13 arcade; restored, re-roofed, north aisle rebuilt
and bellcote erected by Paley and Austin 1878-80; C20 porch. Squared
limestone, rebuilding in chiselled limestone; porch of dressed sandstone and
timber; slate roof. West bellcote; 3-bay nave and north aisle; south porch;
chancel and vestry. Double-chamfered plinth to buttressed west end. 2-
light Perpendicular window beneath pointed hood-mould on headstop to right.
Second headstop has been reset above. Coped and gabled bellcote and cross.
C20 south porch contains rebuilt late C12 doorway with chevron-moulded round
arch on slender shafts, with a stiff-leaf capital to right and a scalloped
capital to left. Reconstructed 3-light window with Decorated tracery to
east, with rebuilt buttress with offsets further to east. Chancel contains
2 rebuilt windows but a small pointed light survives to east of the
buttress. The east end is on a double chamfered plinth between angle
buttresses with offsets. 3-light window with Decorated tracery beneath
pointed hood-mould on headstop. Coped gable and gable cross. Interior:
early C13 arcade of pointed double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers
with head-stopped capitals. North wall contains fragments of Cll carvings,
including a fine tomb slab. C12 plain tub font on C19 base. In the
embrasure of the small pointed chancel window, a transparent box contains a
finely carved corbel head or head-stop of C13. A C19 arched niche in the
chancel north wall a C14 effigy of a priest reclines on a tomb chest with 5
quatrefoils each enclosing a flower. C19 east window contains fragments of
C14 and C15 glass.


Listing NGR: SE8581773459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.