History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Abbey and Attached Farmbuilding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ebberston and Yedingham, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.206 / 54°12'21"N

Longitude: -0.6279 / 0°37'40"W

OS Eastings: 489590

OS Northings: 479788

OS Grid: SE895797

Mapcode National: GBR SM1T.V0

Mapcode Global: WHGC9.BJ7Y

Entry Name: The Old Abbey and Attached Farmbuilding

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Last Amended: 5 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329637

Location: Ebberston and Yedingham, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Ebberston and Yedingham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ebberston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Yedingham

Listing Text

EBBERSTON B 1258
SE 87 NE
(south-east side, off)
13/18 The Old Abbey and attached
farmbuilding (Previously listed
10.11.53 as 'Barn South' of Abbey Farm
incorporating part of remains of
Yedingham Abbey)
II*
House and attached farmbuilding incorporating part of the former chapel of
Yedingham Priory. C12-C13 wall containing two blocked arches; C18 house
probably incorporating a late C17 farmhouse; altered C19. Dressed
sandstone; pantile roof; brick stacks. House originally 2-cell baffle-entry
plan, later extended to incorporate the remains of the Priory wall in a
service wing and attached farmbuilding to form an 1-shape. 2-storey, single
window crosswing to right of 1 storey range. The C20 door within a glazed
porch is contained in the re-entrant angle. C20 2-light casements with
wedge lintels to ground and first floors of crosswing; C20 dormer to l½
storey range. Rear: to end right of attached farmbuilding is a blocked
round arch of voussoirs with a continuous moulded impost band. To the left
of the arch is a bracketed holy water stoup with a trefoiled canopy. Coped
gables and shaped kneelers. Central stack to crosswing and end stack to
service wing. Interior of farmbuilding: reverse of round arch, single
chamfered, beneath a hood-mould with one surviving stiff-leaf stop. Imposts
with stiff-leaf moulding. Interior of house: the first room of the service
wing and the room above contain a second, pointed, arch, of three orders.
Slender colonettes have stiff-leaf capitals; the arch has keel and dog-tooth
mouldings. The pointed apex of the arch is visible in the room above but
the exterior has been completely walled-in. In the room to the left of the
crosswing the chamfered bressumer, firewindow and spice cupboard of the
central fireplace survive. The firehood is visible in the centre of the
floor above. Two C18 plank doors survive: one to the service wing passage,
and one to the first floor room to the right, which also has an H-L hinge.


Listing NGR: SE8959079788

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.