History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge from Abbey Precinct Across Road to Ampleforth Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2026 / 54°12'9"N

Longitude: -1.0838 / 1°5'1"W

OS Eastings: 459861

OS Northings: 478930

OS Grid: SE598789

Mapcode National: GBR NMWV.47

Mapcode Global: WHF9Y.BM4K

Entry Name: Bridge from Abbey Precinct Across Road to Ampleforth Bank

Listing Date: 9 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149605

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329563

Location: Ampleforth, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Ampleforth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ampleforth St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Ampleforth

Listing Text

AMPLEFORTH AMPLEFORTH ABBEY
SE 57 NE

5/4 Bridge from Abbey
Precinct across road to

9.9.85 Ampleforth Bank


The description shall be amended to read:

Footbridge. c1854, restored c1930. Rusticated limestone ashlar.
Single span across road with second arch built into the slope of
the bank, a further third arch formerly led down into the Abbey
precinct, but this has been demolished. Stepped parapet, rebuilt
at top c1930. The bridge post-dates a Royal Proclamation issued
15th June 1854 forbidding the wearing of Catholic vestments and
ornaments in public, for the bridge was designed to link the
abbey with the cemetery on Ampleforth Bank.

------------------------------------

AMPLEFORTH AMPLEFORTH ABBEY
SE 57 NE

5/4 Bridge from abbey
precinct across road to
9.9.85 Ampleforth Bank


GV II


Bridge. Probably early C19 in origin with later rebuilding. Rusticated
limestone ashlar. Single span across road with a second arch built into the
slope of the bank. Stepped parapet, rebuilt at top. In origin the bridge
may pre-date the 1829 Catholic Emancipation Act, its purpose being to shield
the monks from sight as they crossed the road.


Listing NGR: SE5986178930

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.