This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1403 / 54°8'25"N
Longitude: -0.6399 / 0°38'23"W
OS Eastings: 488951
OS Northings: 472465
OS Grid: SE889724
Mapcode National: GBR RNZK.8K
Mapcode Global: WHGCP.46K8
Entry Name: Place Newton and Attached Garden Walls on Each Side
Listing Date: 20 September 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329434
Location: Wintringham, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Wintringham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Scampston with Wintringham
Church of England Diocese: York
WINTRINGHAM PLACE NEWTON
SE 87 SE
8/93 Place Newton and attached
garden walls on each side
20.9.51 (formerly listed as "Place
Small country house. 1714, remodelled and extended in early C19; further
extension later C19. Front porch rebuilt c1972 reusing C19 panels. Stacks
rebuilt c1972. For the Strickland family. Orange-red brick in random bond
with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings; timber doorcases and oriel
windows. Extension in red brick in English garden wall bond. Slate roofs.
Garden walls of red brick in English garden wall bond with sandstone coping.
Entrance front: on chamfered plinth. 2-storey and attic open-pedimented
centre part of 3 bays, flanked by 3-window, full-height canted bays:
2-storey, 1-bay extension at right. Garden wall at left. 1-storey, glazed
and panelled central porch with square section corner piers. Canted
doorcase within, with replacement door of 6 raised and fielded panels
between sunk panelled pilaster jambs with scalloped imposts. Oriel window
with 12-pane sash above. Remaining ground- and first-floor windows are 12-
pane sashes with stone sills and grooved wedge lintels. Attic lunette with
squat 8-pane window in pediment. Chamfered plinth band and raised eaves
band. Drain pipes and rainwater heads dated 1837 in angles with bay
windows. End stacks rise at base of hipped roof; left and right of centre
ridge stacks. Half-hexagonal roofs to canted bays. Extension has 6-pane.
pivoting window with painted timber lintel on ground floor. Second
extension further to right not of special interest. Garden wall
approximately 1.3 metre high, ramped-up at right over round-arched gateway
with board gate. Chamfered coping. Square terminal pier at left end with
cornice and pyramidal cap.
Garden front: 9 bays arranged as on entrance front: 2-storey, 2-window
extension at left. Garden wall further to left. Main part repeats entrance
front, without porch. Central doorcase has double doors, half-glazed over
fielded panels, with radial fanlight. Lion mask guttering clamps survive in
places. Extension has blocked doorway at left end, and tall, 3-light,
small-pane horizontal-sliding sashes with painted timber lintels to both
floors. Left return: blind recessed lunette in gable end. Garden wall
approximately 2 metres high, ramped-up to approximately 3 metres high.
Round-arched gateway at right end. Cambered coping. Yard-side: single-
storey range of buildings not of special interest.
Interior of house: round-arched Doric screen at foot of staircase. Restored
open-string, open-well staircase, with ashlar stairs, cast-iron clustered
balusters and moulded handrail, ramped-up, rises through first floor to
Listing NGR: SE8895172465
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings