History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pump House Approximately 80 Metres East of Scampston Hall and Attached Walls Sunk in Ground on South Side

A Grade II Listed Building in Scampston, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1686 / 54°10'7"N

Longitude: -0.6755 / 0°40'31"W

OS Eastings: 486565

OS Northings: 475567

OS Grid: SE865755

Mapcode National: GBR RNQ7.KF

Mapcode Global: WHGCG.LHJ3

Entry Name: Pump House Approximately 80 Metres East of Scampston Hall and Attached Walls Sunk in Ground on South Side

Listing Date: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329392

Location: Scampston, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Scampston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scampston with Wintringham

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Knapton

Listing Text

SCAMPSTON SCAMPSTON HALL ESTATE
SE 87 NE
4/52 Pump House approximately
80 metres east of
Scampston Hall and
attached walls sunk in
ground on south side.
GV II
Pump house. 1778 on datestone. Orange-red brick in English garden wall
bond on tooled sandstone base; stone coping. Exterior wall of orange-red
brick. Square on plan. Battered east side has low segment-arched opening
and blocked roundel above. South side has segment arch between shaped
abutments over channel running through building. On west side is wide
doorway beneath heavy lintel. Date panel sunk in raised surround on north
side, hidden by ivy. Interior: partly sunken floor forms wheel pit for
undershot wheel. Massive tunnel-vaulted roof. Channel bringing water from
the adjacent lake, together with a sluice, may be seen to south-east.
Water, collected in the small pond on south side was controlled by a sluice
within the pumphouse, from where it was channelled through the building,
flowing out through a tailrace on the north side. Included for industrial-
historic interest.


Listing NGR: SE8656575567

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.