This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1703 / 54°10'13"N
Longitude: -0.6055 / 0°36'19"W
OS Eastings: 491135
OS Northings: 475844
OS Grid: SE911758
Mapcode National: GBR SN66.QT
Mapcode Global: WHGCH.NFWT
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329356
Location: Heslerton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Heslerton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: West Heslerton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
HESLERTON WEST HESLERTON VILLAGE
SE 97 NW
5/17 Church of All Saints
Church. C13 chancel, partly rebuilt in 1859. Restoration of 1886 by
C.Hodgson Fowler. Tooled sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings and
slate roofs. West bellcote; 3-bay nave and north aisle; chancel and vestry.
Square-headed west door with tall foiled lancet above. Trefoil-headed
window to north aisle. All openings are hollow-chamfered, with hoodmoulds.
Twin-arched gabled bellcote with gable cross. North and south sides have
2 square-headed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds, with reticulated tracery on
south side and trefoil-headed lights on north side. Chancel south side
contains 3 lancets, 2 original, the westernmost inserted. Wall tablet to
Christopher Wood (d 1826) and his wife and son, by Monkman of Malton. North
side has 2 original lancets to east of gabled vestry. Shouldered north door
and east lancet to vestry. Rebuilt east window of 3 stepped lancets beneath
2-centred hoodmould. Gable cross.
Interior: north arcade of pointed chamfered arches on octagonal columns.
All window openings have been widened and deeply splayed beneath chamfered
segmental arches. Original quoined doorway, now blocked, in chancel north
wall. Vestry, originally external, side is chamfered with a pointed arch
beneath a chamfered hoodmould with a decayed stop to west. In chancel, late
C13 - early C14 segment-arched Easter Sepulchre with filleted roll moulding,
beneath crocketed, gabled canopy with crocket finial. Gable tympanum
contains crudely carved Coronation of the Virgin enclosed in quatrefoil
moulding, between spandrels carved with foliage. Below is a tomb with
carved panelled sides of paired, pointed lights, beneath band of
quatrefoils. Piscina beneath restored pointed arch in chancel south wall.
Plain octagonal font on quatrefoil pedestal, donated by Viscount Downe and
probably by W.Butterfield. Monuments: 3 late C17 grave slabs in the
sanctuary to members of the Barnard family. On nave south wall, a tall wall
tablet with fulsome memorial to Sir Christopher Sykes of Sledmere, the noted
agriculturalist (d 1805), erected by his daughter and carved by W Plows of
York. Fittings: C19 brass chandelier in chancel.
Listing NGR: SE9113575844
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings