History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Normanby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2254 / 54°13'31"N

Longitude: -0.8744 / 0°52'27"W

OS Eastings: 473481

OS Northings: 481656

OS Grid: SE734816

Mapcode National: GBR QMBL.H2

Mapcode Global: WHFB1.J2V3

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329298

Location: Normanby, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Normanby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Normanby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Marton

Listing Text

NORMANBY VILLAGE
SE 78 SW
(east side)
2/35 Church of St Andrew
10.11.53

- II*

Church. Mid C12 arcade; chancel arch c1300, partly rebuilt 1894; rebuilt
1718; restoration, and chancel rebuilt, 1893-95 by Temple Moore, when C15
east window was reset in chancel north wall. Coursed sandstone rubble with
rebuilt west end in dressed sandstone and windows of sandstone ashlar.
Tiled roofs to nave and porch; stone slate roof to chancel. West bellcote;
3-bay nave, north aisle and south porch; chancel and north vestry. West
end: segment-headed window of 3 cusped lights beneath hoodmould. Gabled
bellcote with twin arches and gable cross. Lancet in west end of north
aisle. Nave: porch contains earlier masonry including a C13 corbel, the
base of a C12 column and reset lancet. Rebuilt doorway incorporates part of
C12 roll-moulded arch. Square-headed window of 3 trefoil-headed lights to
east of porch, and paired lancets further to east. North side has 2
lancets. Chancel: south wall contains 2 lancets, that to east with trefoil
ogee head. North side has one lancet. East end: 3-light window beneath 2-
centred arch and hoodmould. Interior: north arcade of round arches on
cylindrical piers with square abaci and moulded capitals. 2-centred chancel
arch on half-octagonal triple responds. North respond capital carved as 2
affronted birds; south respond capital carved with ivy leaves and grotesque
head to east. Chancel north wall contains reset square-headed window of 3
lights with cavetto mullions and cinquefoil heads. Sanctuary south wall
contains piscina incorporating C13 trefoil head and C12 colonette. Barrel-
vaulted king-post roof with finely carved bosses. C17 octagonal font on C19
pedestal. Alms box, possibly C17, in the form of a turned baluster. Some
C17 turned balusters reused in altar rail.


Listing NGR: SE7348181656

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.