History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Mill and Attached Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Rosedale East Side, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3529 / 54°21'10"N

Longitude: -0.8873 / 0°53'14"W

OS Eastings: 472413

OS Northings: 495835

OS Grid: SE724958

Mapcode National: GBR QL73.PC

Mapcode Global: WHF98.BVPC

Entry Name: Abbey Mill and Attached Cottage

Listing Date: 25 September 1981

Last Amended: 27 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149724

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382463

Location: Rosedale East Side, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Rosedale East Side

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Rosedale Abbey

Listing Text

ROSEDALE EAST SIDE ROSEDALE ABBEY
SE 7295
16/45 Abbey Mill and attached
cottage -
(formerly listed as Mill
25.9.81
buildings at Rosedale
Abbey)
GV II
Cornmill and attached cottage; both buildings now used for storage. Mill
rebuilt in 1853 replacing an earlier mill; cottage partly rebuilt c1982.
C19 rebuilding by George Wilson. Hammer-dressed sandstone reusing some
herringbone-tooled sandstone; pantile roof to mill; concrete pantile roof to
cottage. Bridge-type mill with high breast wheel. 2-storey and attic,
2-window front to mill, with single-storey, 4-bay front to cottage to right.
Mill: plank stable door to right. 2-light window opening to left of door
and 2 shuttered openings further to left, the end one the inspection hole to
the wheelchamber. 2-light window to first floor right, with smaller square
opening to left. 2 small square shuttered openings to attic. Vertically-
tooled lintels to door and windows. Door lintel has untooled shaped panel
to centre inscribed: "GEORGE WILSON 1853"; above is a reset datestone with
the inscription: "FC 1667". Coped gables and shaped kneelers. End left
stack. Rear: blocked wheelchamber opening to right, between ground and
first floors. Board lifting door to left, to first floor. At end left both
floors have 2-light, 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes. Attic has 2 square
shuttered openings. cottage: panelled door to right of centre and 2-light,
large-pane horizontal-sliding sashes, all with renewed lintels and sills.
Coped gable to right and end right stack.


Listing NGR: SE7241395835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.