History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Witch of the Woods House Approximately 500 Metres North of Cowmyers

A Grade II Listed Building in Azerley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.154 / 54°9'14"N

Longitude: -1.5915 / 1°35'29"W

OS Eastings: 426777

OS Northings: 473203

OS Grid: SE267732

Mapcode National: GBR KNBD.7P

Mapcode Global: WHC7M.JVCC

Entry Name: Witch of the Woods House Approximately 500 Metres North of Cowmyers

Listing Date: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331021

Location: Azerley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Azerley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Mickley

Listing Text

SE 27 SE AZERLEY GALPHAY LANE
(north side, off)

5/19 Witch of the Woods House
approximately 500 metres
north of Cowmyers


- II


House. C17 with major alterations 1717 and restoration C20. Coursed
cobbles, pantile roof. l½ storeys, 2 bays, with l-bay addition at right
end. Central gabled porch with board door. Double-chamfered mullion
windows of 3 lights to left and 4 lights to right and narrow fire-window
right again. Two 2-light casement windows under eaves. End stacks of
stone, with a datestone on the south side of stack to right inscribed:

'W' (George Wells)
G M
1717

Bay to right has board door only. Interior not inspected in detail but the
house is no longer divided into separate rooms and is only lofted over at
the right end. The cross-beam and joists have been removed from the west
end. The roof is supported by A-frames with straight timbers of small
scantling. The cruck truss described in the previous list description was
not visible. Henry Wells of Cowmyers (qv) bequeathed the 'Old Firehouse' to
his 3 younger sons, 1 of whom was George. In 1716 one son, William, was
selling his share of the house, and it is possible that the whole property
was being sold. The datestone at Witch of the Woods may therefore record
major alterations by George Wells when he moved there from the 'Old
Firehouse' in 1717. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings
Study Group Report Numbers 272 (1985) and supplement.


Listing NGR: SE2677773203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.