History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Stables

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1252 / 54°7'30"N

Longitude: -1.5761 / 1°34'34"W

OS Eastings: 427800

OS Northings: 470014

OS Grid: SE278700

Mapcode National: GBR KNFQ.KZ

Mapcode Global: WHC7T.RKNW

Entry Name: High Stables

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331047

Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 27 SE and LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
SE 26 NE ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS
High Stables (formerly
5/43 listed as Studley Royal
and 8/43 House (part occupied))
6.3.67

GV II*


Stable range, now house. 1728-32. By John Simpson and Robert Doe probably
to designs by Colen Campbell and Roger Morris for John Aislabie. Ashlar,
stone slate roof. 4 ranges of 1 and 2 storeys around a square courtyard
with corner towers. Alternately rusticated quoins to ground floor. East
front: 7-bay arcade flanked by 2-storey towers in Palladian style.
Rusticated piers, round arches with keystones. Moulded cornice, shallow
parapet and ball finials. Each flanking tower has sash with glazing bars in
architrave with consoles and pediment; 6-pane sash above in eared and
shouldered architrave. Arcade cornice continued as a first-floor band;
moulded eaves cornice; shallow blocking course; pyramidal roof; copper ball
finial with weather vane. Corniced stacks to left and right. Cupola with
shallow pointed roof and ball finial to centre of rear (west) range. Large
stone cistern in centre of courtyard. Interior not inspected at resurvey,
but contains fine mid-C18 fireplaces salvaged from Studley Royal House. The
'black and white' room contains the marble flooring from the altar area of
the estate chapel and the 'red room' was later the chapel and subsequently
the trophy room (W T C Walker, personal communication). Colen Campbell's
work in Yorkshire includes his design for Newby Park, Baldersby (1720-21)
for Sir William Robinson, Aislabie's brother-in-law. Aislabie returned to
Studley after his disgrace as Chancellor of the Exchequer following the
South Sea Bubble Crisis of 1720. High Stables was built as the racing
stable block to Studley Royal House although the north and south ranges were
converted to service use soon after construction. In 1946 the house was
burnt down and High Stables became the principal residence.


Listing NGR: SE2780070007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.