History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tower of Thornton Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop Thornton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0735 / 54°4'24"N

Longitude: -1.602 / 1°36'7"W

OS Eastings: 426142

OS Northings: 464252

OS Grid: SE261642

Mapcode National: GBR KP7B.ZH

Mapcode Global: WHC80.CWD0

Entry Name: Tower of Thornton Church

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330945

Location: Bishop Thornton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Bishop Thornton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ingerthorpe

Listing Text

SE 26 SE BISHOP THORNTON RIPLEY ROAD
(west side, off)

8/24 Tower of Thornton Church

GV II

Tower of Roman Catholic church. C18. Coursed squared gritstone and
ashlar. 3 stages, with offset diagonal buttresses. Single-light windows to
first and second stages, paired lights to belfry stage, all with pointed
hoodmoulds. Eaves cornice, battlemented parapet. The first parochial
chapel on this site was built c1460 by the devout John Walworth, Forester to
the Archbishop of York, who lived at Raventoft Hall (qv). After the split
of the Anglican and Catholic churches Raventofts was a main centre of
Catholicism in the area, the priest of Thornton church living at the house.
By 1720 the church was in a poor state of repair and probably in 1790 was
replaced by the presbytery built then in Bishop Thornton village with a
chapel in the attic (qv). A new Catholic church was built next to the
presbytery in 1809, while the Anglican church was built in 1888.
B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, p 401.


Listing NGR: SE2614264252

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.