History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Markington with Wallerthwaite, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1042 / 54°6'15"N

Longitude: -1.5933 / 1°35'36"W

OS Eastings: 426687

OS Northings: 467663

OS Grid: SE266676

Mapcode National: GBR KN9Z.VJ

Mapcode Global: WHC80.H3HH

Entry Name: Park House

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149827

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330980

Location: Markington with Wallerthwaite, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ingerthorpe

Listing Text

SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH FOUNTAINS LANE
WALLERTHWAITE (west side, off)

5/59 Park House

6.3.57
- II

Farmhouse. C17 and 1810. Coursed squared gritstone and coursed gritstone
rubble, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. South front: bay to right is
remnant of a C17 house, the left 2 bays and the third storey overall is a
rebuild of 1810. Quoins to left. C20 6-panel door between bays to left has
sawn stone surround and a date stone above inscribed 'T. Athorpe Esqr
1810'. A large stone above has a carving in relief of a shield with lion
rampant. Flanking and first-floor windows have 16-pane C20 pivoting frames
in sawn stone surrounds. Bay to right has cross-window to ground and first
floor, both considerably restored. Kneeler and gable coping to left; roof
hipped to right. Stacks to right end and centre. Rear: C20 porch with
large external stack to left, C19 and C20 windows to right. Left return:
stone steps up to door in gable. Right return: central C20 door with almost
flat-arched chamfered stone lintel and jambs, weathered datestone set into
top of lintel. Corbelled base of external stack to first-floor fireplace
above the door. To right: 3-light recessed mullion and transom window, a 2-
light and a single-light mullioned window to first floor, and a 16-pane
window to second floor. Interior: ground floor, restored C20, has open
fireplace with cambered arch of voussoirs (restored) in room to left. The
second floor was built as a storage chamber with access from the external
stairs at the west end. The roof is divided by 5 oak trusses, the timbers
of slight scantling and thickened at the joints. The tie beam has a king-
post supporting a collar with another post above, and 3 diagonal braces
extend from king posts to principal rafters which carry 4 sets of purlins.
An excellent closely-dated roof. B Harrison and B Hutton, Vernacular Houses
in North Yorkshire and Cleveland, 1984 p 181. North Yorkshire and Cleveland
Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report Number 40 (1975).


Listing NGR: SE2668767663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.