This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0821 / 54°4'55"N
Longitude: -1.5571 / 1°33'25"W
OS Eastings: 429071
OS Northings: 465219
OS Grid: SE290652
Mapcode National: GBR KPK7.PF
Mapcode Global: WHC81.1NSG
Entry Name: Barn Approximately 30 Metres East of Markington Hall, with Attached Chapel
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Last Amended: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149829
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330984
Location: Markington with Wallerthwaite, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH HIGH STREET
WALLERTHWAITE (north side)
5/63 Barn approximately 30
metres east of Markington
6.3.67 Hall, with attached
chapel (formerly listed as
Barn and Outbuildings at
Barn and attached outbuildings, now chapel. C16 barn, possibly earlier,
with C19 and C20 restorations, outbuildings converted 1939 by Lord
Illingworth for the Wilberforces. Timber frame clad in sandstone, limestone
and cobble, attached range of rubble; pantile roofs with eaves courses of
stone slates to barn. 5-bay barn with side aisles and attached chapel
range, projecting at right-angle on left. West front: quoins. Large
central double board door; blocked ventilation slits to right. Chapel range
has 4-panel doors and paired pointed windows. Rear (towards road): low cart
entrance with sandstone surround. Left return: attached outbuilding, now a
garage, not of special interest. Right return: 3 rows of 3 blocked slit
vents. The roof, steeply-pitched at ridge, shallower towards eaves.
Interior: posts are set on padstones and have clear carpenters marks.
Braces to tie beams and arcade plates. The barn has been described by the
North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group (1977) when
it was concluded that the original barn, possibly pre-1500, was of 3 bays
with side and end aisles and timber-framed outer walls. Mortice holes on
the surviving posts suggest that the interior was originally divided by
timber partitions. The trusses supporting the roof are composed of narrow
principals with collars and short king-posts. North Yorkshire and Cleveland
Vernacular Buildings Study Group, Report Number 283, 1977.
Listing NGR: SE2907165219
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings