History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Markington with Wallerthwaite, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0809 / 54°4'51"N

Longitude: -1.5638 / 1°33'49"W

OS Eastings: 428632

OS Northings: 465081

OS Grid: SE286650

Mapcode National: GBR KPJ7.7W

Mapcode Global: WHC80.YPHD

Entry Name: Church of Saint Michael

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149833

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330991

Location: Markington with Wallerthwaite, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Markington with Wallerthwaite

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ingerthorpe

Listing Text

SE 26 NE MARKINGTON WITH WESTERNS LANE
WALLERTHWAITE (west side)

5/69 Church of Saint Michael

GV II

Church of Saint Michael. 1844 by A H Cates for Mr Wilberforce, in early
Gothic style, with restoration 1968. Gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. 5-
bay nave with bell-cote at west end and south porch, bay 2. Lower-roofed 2-
bay chancel with vestry on north side. Porch has pointed arch with hood-
mould surmounted by statue of Saint Michael in a niche. Board door with
strap hinges. Trefoil-headed lancet windows to nave and chancel. Stepped
diagonal buttresses, ashlar copings with crosses to gable finials.
Interior: fine roof structure : raised crucks on corbels in nave, and a type
of waggon roof with scissor braces to chancel. The 3-light east window was
designed by William Wailes and the west window is a memorial to John Stanley
Tute, the first vicar, who died in 1897. The bellcote and west end of the
nave roof were damaged by gales in 1962 and rebuilt by 1968. The vestry was
destroyed by fire in 1973 when the Sanctuary roof was also damaged. The
church was rededicated in 1974.


Listing NGR: SE2863265081

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.