This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1436 / 54°8'36"N
Longitude: -1.4999 / 1°29'59"W
OS Eastings: 432768
OS Northings: 472089
OS Grid: SE327720
Mapcode National: GBR KNZJ.2D
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.X3YS
Entry Name: Church of Saint John the Divine
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Last Amended: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330993
Location: Sharow, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sharow
Built-Up Area: Sharow
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sharow with Copt Hewick and Marton-le-Moor
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/04/2018
SE 37 SW
BERRYGATE LANE (east side)
Church of St John the Evangelist
(Formerly listed as Church of Saint John the Divine, previously listed as Church of St John).
Church of St John the Evangelist. 1825 with chancel added 1874. Nave and tower by George Knowles, civil engineer. Ashlar, grey slate roof. Wide three-bay nave with tower at west end and south porch. Chancel of two bays with chapel on south side and organ and vestry on north side. In Perpendicular style.
Tower: four stages with trefoil-headed window to third stage and three-light trefoil-headed belfry window, both with flat hood-moulds. Corner buttresses and embattled parapet. Nave: three bays with stepped buttresses and embattled parapet. Three-light Perpendicular windows, the left window partly obscured by small gabled porch with corner buttresses, double-chamfered arch and double door with wide boards and strap hinges. Chancel: two bays with two-light early Gothic-style windows. The east window is Perpendicular and of three lights.
Interior: fine gold-embossed panelled timber roof to nave. Chancel has tiled floor and contemporary choir stalls. A memorial on the south side of the nave to George Knowles (d1853), designer of the nave and tower, of marble with carving in relief of a broken bridge and a weeping willow tree, by T Milne of London. The east window, removed from the nave to the chancel when this was added, was painted by George Hedgland who also painted the west window of Norwich cathedral. A printed sheet giving a detailed history of the church and published c1960 is held in the National Monuments Record.
Listing NGR: SE3276872089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings