This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9809 / 53°58'51"N
Longitude: -1.4568 / 1°27'24"W
OS Eastings: 435721
OS Northings: 454009
OS Grid: SE357540
Mapcode National: GBR LQ8D.DP
Mapcode Global: WHD9S.L6HH
Entry Name: Plompton Hall and Flanking Walls
Listing Date: 8 March 1952
Last Amended: 12 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149836
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330897
Location: Plompton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Plompton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON HALL
5/226 Plompton Hall and
flanking walls (formerly
8.3.52 listed as Plompton Hall)
Country house and flanking walls. c1760. Probably by John Carr for Daniel
Lascelles. Ashlar, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Rusticated
quoins. Wide centre bay breaks forward slightly. Central C20 glazed door
with fanlight and narrow margin lights and, above, C20 6-pane window with
semicircular wrought-iron balcony all in tall, round-arched recess with
voussoirs and impost band. Round-headed niches flank the door, with
circular niches above. Side bays - blind windows to ground floor, sash with
glazing bars inserted on left and above two 6-pane sashes. Plain lintels
and sills throughout. Deep eaves cornice. Triangular pediment over central
bay. Hipped roof. Stacks to left and at rear, centre. Rear facade:
projecting canted bay, centre, with stack and C20 inserted windows.
Interior: Adam-style fireplace in white marble in entrance hall. Short
flanking walls, approximately 3 metres high, link the house to stable
buildings (q.v.) Wall to left has 3 ball and cushion finials. Later
additions built against north face of these walls not of special interest.
The house appears to have been converted from the south range of the stables
when Daniel Lacelles moved to Goldsborough Hall (q.v.) in 1762 and building
work on the much larger house to south-west of the stables ceased.
W.A. Atkinson, Goldsborough and its Neighbourhood, 1922, p. 67.
W.A. Eden & R.B. Wragg, "John Carr, Stone Cutter Extraordinary",
Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, N.S. Vol 24, 1980, p.23.
Listing NGR: SE3572154009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings