History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dam at South End of Lake

A Grade II Listed Building in Plompton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9774 / 53°58'38"N

Longitude: -1.4597 / 1°27'34"W

OS Eastings: 435533

OS Northings: 453617

OS Grid: SE355536

Mapcode National: GBR LQ7F.SY

Mapcode Global: WHD9S.K936

Entry Name: Dam at South End of Lake

Listing Date: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149840

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330912

Location: Plompton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Plompton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON ROCKS

5/241 Dam at south end of Lake

GV II

Dam. c.1760. For Daniel Lascelles, probably by John Carr. Coursed gritstone
with extensive rock-faced rustication. Approximately 70 metres long, 5 metres
high and 6 metres wide. Symmetrical south-facing facade composed of: central
round arched recess flanked by (in order) - large buttress, walling (with iron
valve to left), buttress, wall with circular recess, buttress, walling and outer
buttress. Remains of low parapet with flat coping. The arched recesses have
projecting keystones and voussoirs; buttresses have heavy banded rustication,
the outer pair with large banded ball finials. Several stone-lined channels
carry water away from the south side of the dam and much of the parapet,
including at least one ball finial, has fallen down into this area. The dam
is thickly overgrown with creepers and trees. John Carr submitted a design for
the dam head in 1755 and although it is claimed that it was never built (Wragg
p15) the extant remains are very similar to it. R B Wragg, 'John Carr: Gothic
Revivalist'in W A Singleton (ed), Studies in Architectural History, Vol II,
pp 9-34.


Listing NGR: SE3553353617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.