History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gallon Steps with 2 Lamp Posts and Walls, Linking Waterside and Kirkgate

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0083 / 54°0'29"N

Longitude: -1.4703 / 1°28'13"W

OS Eastings: 434813

OS Northings: 457050

OS Grid: SE348570

Mapcode National: GBR LQ52.HW

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.DJ30

Entry Name: Gallon Steps with 2 Lamp Posts and Walls, Linking Waterside and Kirkgate

Listing Date: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149863

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330872

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH WATERSIDE
(north side, off)

6/202 Gallon steps, with 2 lamp
posts and walls, linking
Waterside and Kirkgate.

GV II

Steps, flanking walls and lamp posts. Brick, gritstone, cobbles and cast
iron. Early C19. Steps: 7 flights, approximately 2 metres wide. Gritstone
slabs over stone and brick core. Some C20 restoration. Cobble platforms
between flights. Walls: coursed gritstone with pointed coping,
approximately 1 metre high on outside. Inner wall is part rubble and part
coursed gritstone. Lampposts: fluted columns, lanterns restored c1980. The
steps appear to have been named after Richard Gallon, gent, who kept the
Nidd pavilion in 1822. They are also recorded as Factory Steps, and the
1851 Ordnance Survey map shows a linen factory built against the cliff face
about halfway along their line. The lampposts were probably first erected
when the town was lit by gas in 1824. W A Atkinson, Knaresborough and its
Manor Houses, 1924, p 26. Ordnance Survey, Map of Knaresborough, 5 feet to
1 mile, 1851. White's Directory of Yorkshire, 1822, p 225.


Listing NGR: SE3481357050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.