History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Mill Weaving Shed

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0061 / 54°0'22"N

Longitude: -1.471 / 1°28'15"W

OS Eastings: 434769

OS Northings: 456807

OS Grid: SE347568

Mapcode National: GBR LQ53.BN

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.CKRP

Entry Name: Castle Mill Weaving Shed

Listing Date: 25 March 1983

Last Amended: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330880

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH WATERSIDE
(south side)

8/210 Castle Mill: weaving shed
(formerly listed as Block E
under Castle Mills
25.3.83 (consisting of blocks A to E))

GV II

Mill building. Early-mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate
roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 11 bays. North facade: C20 panelled door to bay 3.
Large windows with 63 and 49 panes to ground and first floors, containing
side-sliding sashes, Hipped roof. Left return: small-pane windows to
ground floor; 1st floor, left: iron loading doors with projecting pulley
rail over. 2 small-pane windows to right. Interior: stone floor to ground
floor; original timberwork throughout, with iron supports. The Castle Mill
was converted from cotton to flax spinning in 1811. In 1832-3 it was owned
by John Vipont and Company and was run by a 25 h.p. water driven mill. In
1835 Samuel Wilkinson had considerably extended his machinery and by 1836
there were 200 workers employed. In 1847 John Walton leased the mill and
installed a steam engine and power looms. He employed 423 workers in 1851.
B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough. 1970.


Listing NGR: SE3476956807

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.