History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Knaresborough House

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0103 / 54°0'36"N

Longitude: -1.4702 / 1°28'12"W

OS Eastings: 434820

OS Northings: 457268

OS Grid: SE348572

Mapcode National: GBR LQ52.H5

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.DG5H

Entry Name: Knaresborough House

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149870

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330794

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH HIGH STREET
(south side)

6/125 No 107 (Knaresborough
House)
5.2.52
GV II

Town house, now council offices. Late C18 for the Collins family. Coursed
squared limestone, stone slate roof. 3-storey, 5-bay square central block
flanked by single-storey, 2-bay wing to left and 2-storey, 2-bay wing to
right. Central panelled door with fanlight and portico with Tuscan columns
supporting fluted frieze, dentilled cornice and triangular pediment. Sashes
with glazing bars, projecting sills and flat arches throughout first and
second floors, 6-pane sashes to 3rd floor. Balustraded band at first-floor
level. Moulded eaves cornice, hipped roof, wide lateral stacks. Rear:
flanking wings single-storey, windows and balustrade as front. The house
became the property of Knaresborough Council in 1951. Interior: entrance
hall with 2 pairs of columns with plain beaded capitals. 6-panel doors,
tiled floor. To left: wide cantilevered staircase of 2 lights with plain
balustrade. Venetian landing window contains painted glass with monograms
and coats of arms. Council Chamber at centre of ground floor rear rooms,
has plaster ceiling frieze of triglyphs and lamps and classical style
fireplace of carved wood.


Listing NGR: SE3482057268

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.