History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial to Ely Hargrove in Churchyard 1 Metre South of Church of Saint John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0095 / 54°0'34"N

Longitude: -1.4716 / 1°28'17"W

OS Eastings: 434729

OS Northings: 457177

OS Grid: SE347571

Mapcode National: GBR LQ52.6G

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.CHH4

Entry Name: Memorial to Ely Hargrove in Churchyard 1 Metre South of Church of Saint John the Baptist

Listing Date: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149901

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330765

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH THE PARSONAGE
(north side)

6/191 Memorial to Ely Hargrove
in churchyard 1 metre
south of Church of Saint
John the Baptist

II
GV

Chest tomb. 2nd quarter of C19 with mid C20 restoration. For Ely Hargrove
(d1818), Christiana, his wife (d1780), and Mary his daughter. Gritstone.
Moulded plinth, octagonal fielded panel to ends, a central octagonal fielded
panel flanked by hexagonal fielded panels to sides. Large top slab has
roll-moulded edges and deeply-incised lettering. The inscription eulogises
Ely Hargrove, "The celebrated historian of this town / and the surrounding
country / and one whose / Indefatigable Literary Pursuits / were not more
exemplary than his faithful and honourable / discharge of all the relative
duties / of domestic and social life: / In him was realized / The rare unity
of talent with / The strictest integrity; / And his death ... / Evinced the
composure of a superior mind, / with the Christian hope of Eternal peace. /
Superior to the ills of Time / His lengthened days in peace he trod, / Till
death remov'd to scenes sublime / This servant of the living God; / where
now, with feeling more refin'd / He pitys those he left behind. /" The tomb
was moved to its present position from outside the west end of the church
when the churchyard was landscaped in 1973. Ely Hargrove was born in
Halifax in 1741 and moved to Knaresborough in 1762 as a printer and
bookseller. For a time he was a librarian at Harrogate. He published 'The
History of the Castle, Town, and Forest, of Knaresborough, with Harrogate,
and its medicinal springs' in 1775 which had run to 7 editions by 1832 and
remains the most quoted source of information on the town. H Speight,
Nidderdale, 1894, p 293.


Listing NGR: SE3472957177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.