History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saint Roberts Cave, Also Called Saint Roberts Chapel, Approximately 120 Metres South West of Grimbald Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9996 / 53°59'58"N

Longitude: -1.4508 / 1°27'2"W

OS Eastings: 436100

OS Northings: 456087

OS Grid: SE361560

Mapcode National: GBR LQ96.Q0

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.PQCQ

Entry Name: Saint Roberts Cave, Also Called Saint Roberts Chapel, Approximately 120 Metres South West of Grimbald Bridge

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Last Amended: 12 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149914

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330698

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 35 NE KNARESBOROUGH ABBEY ROAD
(east side)

3/35 Saint Robert's Cave, also
called Saint Robert's
5.2.52 Chapel, approximately 120
metres south west of Grimbald
Bridge (formerly listed as
St Robert's Cave or Chapel)

- II*

Cave and foundations of adjoining chapel or outbuildings. Associated with
Saint Robert the hermit, 1160-1218, but no datable features. Foundations of
rectangular building containing grave recess, rock-cut bench and steps.
Entrance to cave between bench (left) and steps (right). The cave is
entered down two steps and contains an outer and inner chamber. The walls
and roof are covered by niches and inscriptions. At time of resurvey the
cave contained 30 centimetres of water and the building foundations were
overgrown. The cave is associated with the legendary hermit, Robert Flower,
but it was known previously as Saint Giles' Chapel. Robert's brother,
Walter, was Mayor of York and he sent craftsmen to build a chapel of hewn
stone in honour of the Holy Cross, with a house where Robert might receive
pilgrims and the poor. This site is thought to be of that period (Jennings, p 103)
The cave became a popular tourist attraction after the discovery in 1746
of the body of Daniel Clark, for whose murder Eugene Aram was hanged in
1759. The event was used by Lord Lytton for a novel published in 3 volumes,
1832. Abbot Cummins, "Knaresborough Cave Chapels", Yorks Arch J,XXVIII,
(1926) pp 80-88.
B Jennings (Ed), Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, pp 98 and 381.
H Speight, Nidderdale, 1906, pp 249-51.


Listing NGR: SE3610056087

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.