This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0115 / 54°0'41"N
Longitude: -1.491 / 1°29'27"W
OS Eastings: 433454
OS Northings: 457390
OS Grid: SE334573
Mapcode National: GBR LQ11.0R
Mapcode Global: WHD9L.2F8L
Entry Name: Bilton Hall
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330699
Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Knaresborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 NW KNARESBOROUGH BILTON LANE
2/36 Bilton Hall
Country house. 1853 for the Watson family, incorporating part of shell of
mid-late C17 house. Brick, random bond and diaper patterned, stone slate
roof. 2 and 3 storeys with cellar and attics, 5 x 6 bays. Rectangular in
plan, with C17 facades to west and north. South (entrance) and east
(garden) fronts built in mid-C19 Tudor-Jacobean style with diaper brickwork,
mullion and transom windows and ball finials. West front: 3 storeys, 6
bays; the end bays project slightly as shallow gabled wings. Quoins.
Mullion and transom windows with cast-iron glazing bars to ground and first
floors. 3-light windows to wings. Central block, ground floor: 3 closely-
spaced 2-light windows to left, three 3-light windows to right. First
floor: paired 2-light window to left; probably C20 single light flanked by
2-light windows to right. Two 3-light mullioned windows under eaves. C19
Tudor-style brick stacks to left and right. North facade: right - C18 and
C19. Service rooms with C20 glazed doors to centre. Left - gable end of
east (garden) front has wide external stack of C17 brickwork with stone
quoins. Gable rebuilt above eaves line, probably in C18. C19 brick stacks.
Interior: large beams in ground-floor room, north end of west range. Rooms
probably all reordered in C19 and altered again in early C20. Mid C19
entrance hall with wide staircase of 2 straight flights. North end of east
range: possibly C18 fireplace of white marble, with surround and large pier-
glass frame of carved wood and plaster. The centre of the west side has
been rebuilt and may originally have had a storeyed porch of the type at
Goldsborough Hall (q.v.). There was a park and hunting lodge at Bilton in
the C14 and a prominent local family, the Slingsbys, owned the hall in the
C16 and until 1631 when it was bought by Thomas Stockdale. The Stockdales
probably built the earliest surviving house, but the family lost its
fortunes in 1721 (South Sea Bubble) and the house was eventually sold to
John Watson of Malton (1742) who was probably responsible for the C18
repairs, and the stable range to the north (q.v.).
Harrogate Advertiser, May 18 1957.
B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, p163.
B Williams, Bilton, 1985.
Listing NGR: SE3345457390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings