This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0108 / 54°0'38"N
Longitude: -1.4726 / 1°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 434659
OS Northings: 457324
OS Grid: SE346573
Mapcode National: GBR LQ42.Z0
Mapcode Global: WHD9L.CG03
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 15 May 1968
Last Amended: 12 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330712
Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Knaresborough
Built-Up Area: Knaresborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH BOND END
6/49 Roman Catholic Church of
Saint Mary (formerly listed
15.5.68 as Church of St Mary
Church of St Mary. 1831. Coursed squared gritstone, Westmorland slate
roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays, central 3 bays slightly projecting and pedimented.
C20 glazed door in addition to right. Ground floor: central single-storey
porch, now blocked to form chapel, flanked by 6-pane sashes with C20 frame
far right. Single-storey projecting bay to left. Round-arched niche with
statue above porch. Other windows are tall sashes with 4 panes, the upper 2
segmental-arched, with projecting sills, first-floor sill band to central 3
bays and first floor lintel band. Eaves cornice, central triangular
pediment with cross in relief. Ashlar coping. Conical ventilator to roof.
Rear: ground-floor windows blocked, first-floor windows as front.
Interior: C20 redecoration and fittings. 2 cast-iron columns with acanthus
capitals support balcony at west end. Ceiling divided into 8 panels with
egg-and-dart mouldings. Large roundel with fan motif to centre panel and
roundels with flower and leaf motifs to outer panels. Organ built 1860 and
installed 1961. The building was designed to look like a private house,
shortly after the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829. The foundations are
said to have come from the ruins of St Hilda's Chapel, Rudfarlington, but no
early stonework was visible at resurvey. Anon, Handbook of Knaresborough,
(c1889-1900) p 31. H Speight, Nidderdale, (1906) p 48.
Listing NGR: SE3465957324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings