History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0056 / 54°0'20"N

Longitude: -1.466 / 1°27'57"W

OS Eastings: 435095

OS Northings: 456750

OS Grid: SE350567

Mapcode National: GBR LQ63.DV

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.GL33

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149927

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330731

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3556 KNARESBOROUGH BRIGGATE
(east side, off)

9/68 Church of the Holy
Trinity
5.2.52
- II

Church of the Holy Trinity. 1866. Gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. C14
Gothic style. North-west tower, 6-bay aisled nave with clerestory and north
porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: 3 stages; off-set angle
buttresses; 2 and 3-light windows; tall broach spire with lucarnes. Nave:
porch has double board door with strap hinges; 2-light trefoil-headed
windows with quatrefoils under hoodmoulds to aisles; 3-light clerestory
windows with shafts and lunettes under triple-headed hoodmoulds. Chancel:
windows as aisles. Interior: cylindrical arcade piers with foliate capitals
support double-chamfered pointed arches with head stops to hoodmoulds.
Chancel: roll-moulding at window sill level. Elaborate carved and gilded
stone reredos with heads of Apostles and symbols of the Passion. East
window flanked by mural paintings of saints and bishops. Piscina and
sedilia at east end of north and south walls.


Listing NGR: SE3509556750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.