History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Primitive Methodist Chapel to Rear of Nos 20 and 22

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0063 / 54°0'22"N

Longitude: -1.4671 / 1°28'1"W

OS Eastings: 435023

OS Northings: 456825

OS Grid: SE350568

Mapcode National: GBR LQ63.5M

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.FKLL

Entry Name: Primitive Methodist Chapel to Rear of Nos 20 and 22

Listing Date: 14 April 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1149929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330737

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3556 KNARESBOROUGH BRIGGATE
(west side, off)

9/74 Primitive Methodist
Chapel to rear of Nos 20
14.4.78 and 22

- II

Chapel and Sunday School, now coat manufacturers' premises. 1854. Coursed
squared gritstone, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 x 3 bays with gable
entrance. Double board doors with overlight in porch with flanking
pilasters with incised decoration and shallow triangular corniced pediment.
16-pane sashes with plain lintels and projecting sills throughout.
Projecting band at eaves level forms base of a triangular gable pediment,
with coping, containing oculus and weathered inscription with date.
Interior not inspected. The chapel was built by the Primitive Methodist
Society which had been established in Knaresborough in 1819. They had
previously used a rented schoolroom for meetings. B Jennings (Ed),
Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, pp 385, 390.


Listing NGR: SE3502356825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.